A deck of cards is used in all different kinds of magic tricks, but few know of its magical powers to transform into an at home or on-the-go workout.
Exercise is not always on the top of the list of most exciting, fun thing to do in your day. This is why many people need to go to a class, or seek a personal trainer to motivate themselves to actually get a good workout in.
Exercising with fitness professionals does provide you with exceptional results, but what about those days when you can't make it to a class or are traveling for work, or to see family?
All you need is a deck of cards.
Assign a move that you know you can execute in proper form to each of the four suits (ex: squats - clubs, plank taps - spades, lunges - hearts, standing oblique abs - diamonds).
Next decide what you would like to do with the face cards. You can either give them a number value say Jack= 11 reps, Queen = 12 reps, and King = 13 reps, or, you could make them a separate move entirely - like a jumping jack or modified burpee of a certain amount.
Now you are ready to workout.
Shuffle the deck and flip a card. Perform the move you have assigned for the suit and the number will tell you how many reps to do.
In our example above, if our first card was a 5 of clubs we would have to perform 5 squats.
You can decide to do a whole deck of cards which usually takes about 30-40 minutes depending on the exercises chosen. Or you could give yourself a time limit and do as many cards as you can.
We would suggest to pick at least one lower body exercise, one upper body exercise, one core focused exercise and one cardio move. This way you get a total body workout!
Below are a couple examples.
- clubs - squats (lower body)
- spades - pushups or wall pushups (upper body)
- diamonds - plank or elevated plank knee taps (core)
- hearts - jumping jacks or stepping jacks (cardio)
- Clubs - lunges, right side even numbers, left side odd numbers (lower body)
- Spades - curl and press w. weights/bands/or cans of food (upper body)
- Hearts - power knees, right side even numbers, left side odd numbers (core)
- Diamonds - Out out in in (cardio)